Sunday 5 January 2014

Wake up with an attitude of gratitude

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful - Buddha




Each day I write three things that I'm grateful for.  I do this as soon as I wake up, it takes about 2 minutes and it sets my day off on the right path.  I can tell you that since I've started doing this I have been so much more content and much happier. 

Gratitude enhances happiness and this is the key to gratitude affecting all areas of your life.  If you focus on the positive, you are training your mind to think positively, and thinking positive means thinking happy.  Research suggests that writing all that you are grateful for just a few minutes a day can increase individual wellbeing by over 10% - such a simple habit for an amazing result.

Expressing gratitude can improve all areas of you life.  It can improve your relationships, both personal and professional, because people who are kind and considerate are more likeable; and it can improve your health, because happy people exercise more, releasing more endorphins.

Gratitude turns bad things into good things; are you having trouble at work? Be grateful that you have work.  Be grateful that you have challenges and that life isn't boring.  Be grateful that you can learn from these challenges.  It also is a great reminder of what is really important.  It's hard to complain about the little things when you give thanks that you and your children are alive and healthy.  It's hard to get stressed out over paying bills when you are grateful there is a roof over your head.

Here is a little exercise to get you started.  Put pen to paper and think of three things that you are grateful for today.  You might decide to recognise the little things or express thanks for the people in your life.  Try to do this every day for the next 5 days and take note on how it makes you feel.

Here is an example of what I'm grateful for today:

1. I am grateful to be active and alive.
2. I'm grateful to have an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables to nourish me daily.
3. I'm grateful for my man, who brightens my day, even if he is 1800km away.

Hope you have a fantastic day.  Thanks for stopping by.
Nicole x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...